Monday, October 20, 2008

"Look, the word designer comes right off!"

I will never forget his speech during orientation. I can't remember his name, or even his face, but what he said stuck with me all these years. He told us that many times he feels like 'he is a fraud. That he really isn't a designer, he is not creative, he is artistic. He is just faking it all.' And I thought to myself "So am I."

I have been at this for 4 years now and it doesn't get any easier. Trying to find jobs, internships, just trying to make it out there. It really is hard. I sometime wonder if I should have chosen an easier field to get into. Been a receptionsit, or an administrative assistant. Or just a boring lab worker. I could have done it. I am actually very good at those type of things.

Answering the phone *sounding nice
Greeting people *looking cute
Filing papers *remembering the ABC's

Art is so much harder, design work is hard. That kind of stuff comes easy to me, but I really have to work at design, I have to think harder. So I feel like a fraud. But then again, when I get it right, when I get it REALLY right, I feel like I have actually done something worthwhile. So maybe I'm not faking it after all.

1 comment:

Johnathon Sykes said...

All that is doubt.
I think you do a really good job with what you do. At least you could stick it out there. AiA and me has issues from the first semester.
So, yes. you can do it. and you will do it. For the sake of the ottoman empire, you must!