Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Internship part 5

So I got a call back from my interviewer, from 3 weeks ago.

No I didn't get the internship, but I had figured that out already. He gave me a few pointers about how to interview, he advised me to bring my portfolio, This I should have done, but really I was out of cash, and way too broke to print out new stuff....truth be told I'm still outta cash.

He did make me feel a lot better about it though, it definitely made up for portfolio preview, and all those weeks of worthlessness that came from it. I hate preview for that one reason. They really tear into you, I can understand when really you have a lot to work on, but its like they really enjoy making you feel bad. Even the people who passed said the same thing. "they really ripped into me" And I know I have had plenty of teachers who will tell you a design is not working, or the design is weak and when I ask why and then they can't tell me why. When you do that it makes it look like you A. Don't know what your talking about and B. are being opinionated. So I think this will be another goal for me in the future. The Art Institutes have a lot of issues as far as the teaching curriculum.

Teachers are opinionated.
Student work looks the same.
No one is really being creative anymore.
there needs to be a new standard.
I intend to help.

3 comments:

WES!! said...

well...for the most part, design (to me) seems mucho subjective. almost to the point of being snobbish...

in fact (my opinion has been proven to be factual on a pie chart. twice.), every time i check out the graphic design portfolio show, the best in show never seems to be the most creative of the bunch, he/she is the one who spent the most money or knew the right people.

people like shiny things.

anywheres, i like the stream of consciousness feel of your blog though, i'm gonna hire you to write my blog!

this one post alone took me an hour! (not really.)

greendesigner said...

wow. This comment sounds so serious. I am astounded. lol

Personally I have only been to one portfolio show and really everyone's stuff looked the same. I was so disappointed.

*Shiiiinnnny*

WES!! said...

i still say a woman's place is in the kitchen/behind a vacuum cleaner...

those were the days... ;P